Learn all about the benefits of organic rose petals, lemon juice, sugar as Allison Holub, owner of Sato Salon Organics, takes you through her signature Rose Facial Scrub
By Nina Elias
It’s October in the Lehigh Valley, and the leaves aren’t the only things a-changin'. You’re likely swapping sleeveless tops for cozy sweaters, stocking up on your favorite fall veggies, even prepping your garden for the season ahead. But while you’re gobbling up every pumpkin spiced treat you can get your hands on (like our DIY healthy pumpkin spice latte!), don’t forget to pay your strands some extra attention this fall—and we don’t mean just for aesthetics.
“In the fall, the two main complaints I hear from my clients are dry, lifeless hair and faded color,” says Allison Holub, owner and master stylist at Sato Salon Organics on Hamilton Boulevard in Allentown. “After being out in the sun, in the water, and everywhere else all summer, your hair is pretty stressed out come fall.” Keep reading for four ways to restore your hair’s health, shine, and happiness.
1. CONDITION WITH A 1-INGREDIENT, AT-HOME HAIR MASK
We’re all about the benefits of healthy sun exposure—and Allison agrees. But even if you’re a sunscreen devotee, chances are your hair and scalp suffered a bit. “When your hair is damaged, lifeless, or very stressed, it’s missing lipids, or fats,” Holub explains. The solution: a 1-ingredient oil mask. You’ll replace the missing lipids with good, healthy plant oils while strengthening your hair from the root and reduce hair fall.
- Shampoo with a non-stripping clarifying shampoo (like Reneu Cleanse by Neuma, $27 at Sato) to rid your hair and scalp of free radicles and pollen.
- Comb an organic, cold-pressed fatty plant oil like coconut, avocado, or grapeseed oil through your hair, working through to the ends. Leave it on as long as you want, from 30 minutes to overnight. (For an even bigger boost, incorporate these healthy fats into your daily diet!)
- Lightly shampoo and condition with your normal conditioner.
2. BRIGHTEN DULL HAIR WITH A DIY RINSE
Mix ¼ cup lemon juice with ¾ cup water and pour over clean, shampooed hair. Massage into scalp and hair and rinse out after a few minutes to increase shine and acidity, which Holub says stressed out hair needs. “Alkaline hair is brittle, while acidic hair is soft and manageable.”
3. GO DARK FOR AN EXTRA-PRETTY HEALTH BOOST
According to Holub, darkening up your color can actually rejuvenate your hair and increase shine. If you choose a salon with clean, healthy hair color, it can act as a reparative treatment. Sato’s hair color line, Mastey, is the cleanest the Lehigh Valley has to offer; the popular west coast and European line is ammonia, PPD, and propylene-glycol free.
4. GET A HAIRCUT—EVEN A QUARTER OF AN INCH
The smallest of trims can give your whole head a boost, while setting your hair up for a healthy future. “Splitting, even the tiniest bit, will continue to travel up the hair,” says Holub. “You’re freshening up your look and taking weight off while avoiding a problem in the future.” FYI: Sato offers a 30-minute “Short Cut” plus blow-dry.