By Stephanie Eckelkamp
What could be better than a day full of yoga and spinning classes with intermittent breaks to sip on local cold-pressed juice, kombucha, and craft beer? Not much. Especially when the money raised from those classes goes toward cancer research AND gets you entered to win some seriously kick-ass prizes.
Enticed? Then mark your calendars for the Yoga + Spin-A-Thon Against Cancer presented by Yukato Yoga / Sole Artisan Ales Cycling Club on January 14th at Yukato Yoga in Bethlehem. (Sign up for classes here to reserve your spot!)
Spearheaded by Yukato Yoga co-founders, Sue Amato and Jess Yusko, the event will feature 12 hours of yoga and spin classes (8 AM to 8 PM), each of which are about an hour long.
"You can come and go as you please, and take as many classes as you'd like," says Amato. "We'll also have a local vendors serving up snacks and drinks, including Stark Juices, Lehigh Valley Kombucha, Funk Brewing, and Subway Madison Farms. And local doctors Matt Conroy and Mackenzie Hubert will be on site offering chiropractic bodywork."
(Full disclosure: Between yoga classes, you'll probably find us double-fisting Funk Citrus and LV Kombucha while perusing Yukato Yoga's selection of handmade jewelry. Come say hi!)
The event, which suggests a $10 donation per class (a pretty sweet deal), is raising money for three members of the Yukato Yoga/ Sole Artisan Ales Cycling Club to participate in the Pennsylvania Perimeter Ride Against Cancer (PPRAC) this July. This intense, 6-day cycling event begins in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and ends in Palmerton, PA. Each rider must raise $2,000, all of which is donated to the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the American Cancer Society and Dream Come True, an organization that helps fulfill the dreams of kids in the Lehigh Valley with serious health issues.
Amato came up with the idea for the yoga + spin-a-thon as a way to support her husband, Nat, and friend, Erin Mascelli, both of whom are riding PPRAC in honor of family members who were taken by cancer far too soon. "We have a studio, and we know so many local businesses and people in the cycling industry, so it just made sense," she says.
One of the event's many selling points is that classes will not only be taught by Yukato Yoga teachers, but also by teachers from other Lehigh Valley studios such as The Yoga Loft. "It was so nice to see how many people in the community wanted to donate their time and skills for a good cause," says Mascelli, who's helping coordinate the event.
In addition to going toward a seriously worthy cause, each of you $10-per-class donations gets you two raffle tickets for over $3,000 worth of wellness-oriented prizes donated by local businesses (full list of prizes and sponsors below). Personally, our fingers are crossed for the SUP yoga class. You can also donate $100 for an all-access class pass and 30 raffle tickets.
For more information on the event and details on specific classes, click here.
We hope to see you there!
- Giant Bicycles (Escape disc bike $650)
- ASSOS Cycling Apparel (USA Cycling jersey, bib shorts, cap, socks $480)
- Jade Yoga (Travel yoga mat + cork blocks $88)
- OOFOS (5 drawings of Recovery sandals $55 each)
- Saucon Valley Bikes (Gift card $100)
- Lille Syster (Custom Bouquet $100)
- Fringe Sytlz Salon (Gift Card and cosmetics $95)
- Bicycling Magazine (Prize Pack - Magazine subscription, cycling jerseys, calendar $200)
- Swiftwick Socks (Prize Pack - 14 pairs of cycling and running socks $150)
- Thule (Prize Pack - Subterra 25L backpack + swag $150)
- Shimano (2 drawings of pedals - $75 each)
- Selene Yeager (Prize Pack - authored and co-authored books $75)
- Miss Melanie Yoga (SUP yoga class $45)
- Dave Pryor (Monkey Knife Fight Entry x 2 $40)
- Greenmouth Cafe (Gift Card)
- Kids Co-op (Birthday Party $325)
- Bodacious Hair and Body (Gift Card and product)
- Two Rivers Brewing & Cosmic Cup (gift cards)
- Lululemon (2 drawings of a yoga mat + top)
- Conroy Chiropractic & Wellness (New Patient Package (1st visit + 2 follow-ups), foam roller and Rocktape, $200)
- Linda White Health Coach (One coaching session & DoTerra essential oil)
- Young’s Pharmacy (Gift Card)
- Genesis Bicycles (Gift Card $100)
- Cannondale/Sugoi (Men and women’s running & cycling apparel)
- Unity Bank ($50 Visa Gift Card + Organic Cotton Pullover Hoodie)
- Subway at Madison Farms
- YoxRox Designs
- Vivid Impressions
- Yoga Loft
- JonnyG Coaching
- Ruzanski Home Improvements
- Conroy Chiropractic & Wellness
- BlendLife Healthy Food Truck
- OM-azing Yoga
- Sole Artisan Ales
- Funk Brewing
- Conshohocken Brewing
- Stark Juice
- ShopRite at Madison Farms
- Yukato Yoga
- Lehigh Valley Kombucha